What do we need to prepare your income tax return?

Josh Nowack

April 8, 2015

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service to you.  When sending in your tax documents, please be sure to consider the following:

Personal Information

  • Social security number(s) and date(s) of birth for everyone that will appear on your tax return
  • Amount of any alimony paid and ex-spouse's full name and social security number
  • Your tax return (fed/state) for the previous year

Information Returns

  • Income from Wages (W-2)
  • Income from Gambling (W-2G)
  • Income from parterships or s-corp interests (Schedule K-1)
  • Income from self-employment (Form 1099-MISC)
  • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)
  • Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)
  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
  • Consolidated broker statement
  • Income from sales of real estate (1099-S)
  • Income from a government entity for tax refunds, unemployment, or family leave (1099-G)
  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (5498SA, 1099-SA or 1099-LTC)
  • Affordable Care Act statement (1095-A/C)
  • Statement following a short sale or foreclosure (1099-A/C)
  • Mortgage Interest paid (1098)
  • Tuition payments made (1098-T)
  • Student loan interest paid (1098-E)

Common Deductions

  • Expenses paid for child care so that you can work (i.e. daycare, camps, aftercare, preschool, etc)
  • Property taxes paid
  • Moving expenses
  • DMV fees paid (license fee only)
  • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations
  • Records of non-cash charitable donations
  • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals
  • Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes
  • Expenses related to your investments
  • Amount paid for preparation of last year’s tax return
  • Employment-related expenses (dues, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel)
  • Job-hunting expenses
  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements
  • Record of estimated tax payments made
  • IRA Information


MBA Deduction

  • Form 1098-T AND a copy of a bursar statement indicating the amount of money the university received on your behalf through loans, credit card payments, or checks
  • Copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy, if employed
  • Copy of your transcript
  • Copy of your resume
  • Amount of employer reimbursement, if any

Small Business Information

  • Tax Identification number for your sole proprietorship or single member limited liability company (SMLLC)
  • Summarized Record of all Expenses
  • Home Office Expenses (including gas, sewer, water, electricity, gas, internet).  

Business Use of Vehicle Information

  • Log showing total miles driven for the year (or beginning/ending odometer readings), total business miles driven for the year (other than commuting), and the business purpose of the mileage
  • Amount of parking and tolls paid

Rental Property Income

  • Records of income and expenses
  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

While the list above is comprehensive, of course, we may need some additional documents, but this should cover most situations.



Back to List

Client Center

Using Your Client Organizer
How to Review My 1040
Using File Exchange

Go Mobile!

...and get what you need, when and where you need it!


How to drive your business into the ground

Josh Nowack

January 7, 2017

From time to time, clients will ask me to check out investment opportunities.  And for avoidance of doubt, I do so not to recommend an investment and certainly not to sell investments....


Phone: 949-354-5495 • Fax: 949-354-5486
Email: info@nowackcpa.com